Saturday, May 22, 2010

Keeping the dirt at bay

Cleaning is one of my least favorite activities. It is always on my to-do list and it never seems to make it to the top.

When I decided to go "green" with my cleaning supplies, it was exciting to think that I would only have a few bottles of cleaner under the sink, rather than dozens. My first "aha" moment was when I opened the newly run dishwasher and one of my small kids was breathing in the fumes. From there on out, we were a "green" house.

I buy mostly "products" like seventh generation, method, and trader joe's brand for cleaning. For some things, house hold products work well, vinegar & baking soda for drains, lemons and the juice for the garbage disposal and bleach replacement, vinegar to kill weeds, borax for laundry and to kill pests, essential oils for fresh smells and good old fashioned non-antibacterial soap to clean almost everything.

My house is still not the most spic and span place you'll visit, but at least it does not smell like cleaners.

Check out this link for some good info. http://www.grist.org/article/possessions-cleaning/

No comments:

Post a Comment