According to wikipedia:
"Bisphenol A is an endocrine disruptor, which can mimic the body's own hormones and may lead to negative health effects. Early development appears to be the period of greatest sensitivity to its effects."
BPA is said to "affect" the prostate gland, the brain, development of fetuses, infants and children, the development of the mammary glands and accelerates puberty in females. Whoa!! By "affect" they are saying that these parts of the body will not develop normally. Some studies suggest that exposure can lead to cardiovascular disease, type-2 diabetes, liver enzyme problems, cancer and obesity.
Picture: property of http://www.dw-world.de/So, now we need to seek out where BPA is, so we can avoid it.
- BPA lurks in #7 plastics that are hard and clear (so use glass or stainless steel or plastic that is specifically "BPA-free").
- It is in the linings of canned food (fruits, veggies, beans, soup, tomato sauce, gravy), so buy fresh or frozen or dried beans or cans made by Eden Organic or Wild Planet. These two brands do NOT put BPA in the linings of their cans.
- It is also in the linings of canned beverages like Coke, V8 juice or beer.
- It is on many of the store and restaurant receipts that we get, so put it away and wash your hands immediately.
- The 5 gallon water bottles that are in many waiting rooms also contain BPA, so bring your own water.