Tuesday, June 15, 2010

What to pack...

So, my daughter is going to camp and she eats lunch there.  This means packing a lunch that she will eat and not toss, that will not leave her hungry, that will not pollute her body and that will not contribute to landfills.

So, after buying her a washable lunchbox that is PVC-free from Lands End, I decided to tackle the sandwich first. I went to reusablebags.com and bought a Wrap-n-mat, which not only holds the sandwich, but it also doubles as a place mat (aka clean surface).  Then I tackled the fruit.  For some reason or another, I save containers (sour cream, yogurt, butter) and these came in handy for fruit, other than watermelon (which is a bit drippy). For crackers, or anything else dry, I use Tupperware-type containers.  The drink is a Sigg aluminum bottle with a sport-type pull up lid.  While I was shopping the reusable bag website, I also stumbled upon a non-toxic freezer gel pack, which helps to keep everything cold while the lunch box sits around waiting for the contents to be devoured (we hope).

I feel good about packing her lunch and the lack of waste it creates, hopefully she will eat what she is given. (even though she came home today and mentioned that everyone at camp shares food for lunch-ugh!)

Check out this article about lunches.

2 comments:

  1. We have been using our bags from reusablebags.com. I still use larger ziploc bags but it is a start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the freezer gallon bags too, I just wash them and reuse them until hole appear. It is cost saving and environment saving!

    ReplyDelete